Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Stories that inspired me...

When I was a kid I was first introduced to books by my elder brother. The first book I ever read was 'Famous Five Series' written by Enid Blyton. Once I started reading my first book I couldn't stop myself from reading more of the series and once I exhausted them I went onto other stories and books written by Enid Blyton.

When I grew a year older I got hooked onto detective series like 'Hardy Boys', 'Nancy Drew', 'The Secret Seven' etc. Mysteries were more interesting according to me and untill I finished the entire book at one go I couldn't sleep.

At every stage of my life my likes in books changed. Once I got into college I got hooked to English Classics like the books written by Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, The Bronte Sisters, William Thackrey, Thomas Hardy etc...

Jane Austen opened me to a totally new world where every story of hers were a slice from her life. 'Pride and Prejudice', 'Emma','Persuasion','Northager Abbey','Sense and Sensibility' and 'Mansfield Park' showed the bonding that she shared with her siblings and her family.

In Indian writers Rabindranath Tagore and Ruskin Bond had a huge influence on me. Every story they wrote were simple and were even simpler to understand and imagine (I always tend to imagine the story in my head after every chapter I have read). Chetan Bhagat was another contemprory writer who brought back the book readers to the book shops with his stories inspired mostly from his life.

When I started writing my own books I always took inspiration from my life and from my surroundings. KNOCKED UP my debut novel is another case in point where I took heavy inspirations from my teenage days. It didn't take me long to write the book as I already had it in my head and I was just waiting to put it on paper.

My relationship with books that was established by my brother still continues to be and I think when I die I still will have a book in my hand.... So happy reading :) Books are indeed your best friend....

No comments:

Post a Comment